Useful Information and Links


For finding legal representation or advice (solicitors and barristers), mediators or family therapists.

Resolution is a community of Family Justice professionals who work with families and individuals to resolve issues in a constructive way. The website includes a comprehensive directory of professionals operating countrywide. For those operating in your area use either your postcode, town or city in the search box. We would advise you to ask for details of the professional’s fees when you make contact. Often an hourly rate is quoted but some professionals will provide a fixed fee quote for your case or part of your case e.g. a solicitor, legal executive or barrister attending court to represent you at a hearing or a mediator for a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

For solicitors or legal executives (family lawyers) shown in the directory the entries show whether legal aid cases are accepted. If looking for help in children’s matters, you should ask the lawyers whether they are experienced in private law children’s cases. Family lawyers can also help you to obtain non-molestation orders (injunctions) or occupation orders in relation to family homes or property. Some of them also deal with divorce and financial and property matters relating to the divorce.

Legal Aid Eligibility in Family Law Matters

Child Law Advice

Legal Aid – GOV.UK

For children’s cases, legal aid is only usually available for cases where a parent has been the subject of domestic abuse. It is available to apply for non-molestation orders (injunctions) or occupation orders in relation to property, restraining orders (Protection from Harassment Act 1997) and forced marriage protection orders.

Help Through Court – Personal Service Units (PSUs)

Support Through Court

If you can’t afford a solicitor and are not eligible for legal aid, you can seek help from a Personal Support Unit (PSU) in relation to court procedures, the completion of court application forms in children’s cases and court proceedings for injunction and restraining orders.

The Unit can also provide some support for you if you are representing yourself at a Family Court hearing. It can also help with divorce proceedings and recommend Mediators for Mediation Information and Assessment Meetings (MIAMs) or for family mediation. The service is free.

Here are the contact details for the unit at the Birmingham Family Court:

Support Through Court
3rd Floor, Birmingham Civil Justice Centre
33 Bull Street
West Midlands
B4 6DS
0121 250 6354

For further information and contact details of other PSUs in England and Wales, follow the link

Child Maintenance

Making a Child Maintenance Arrangement

Calculate Your Child’s Maintenance

These are the Government’s websites which give advice and guidance to parents on how to go about making a child maintenance arrangement and how to calculate the maintenance.

Scroll to Top